Wednesday, July 23, 2014


THREE MONTH UPDATE ON VEGETARIAN CONTROLLED PORTION EATING PLAN

Well it has been a tough month for weight loss.  At 6 pounds down (from 9 pounds down last month) I have done a fair share of backsliding and I need to understand why. 

We have had a lot of foods around the house that  I should not eat. And normally that isn't really a problem because if I decide to have marshmallows or vanilla wafers, I mete out the correct serving size and factor into my total calories for the day. 

However, when faced with taboo foods outside the home, I seem to lose control.  I had some delicious dump cake at a friend's 4th of July party, then a pint of Haagen Dazs Caramel Cone to top off the celebration.  The following week at Bobtopia I indulged in all the Julio's chips and dip I wanted.  Plus a pitcher of sugar and salt-laden margaritas. A friend also sent a huge tray of cookies home with us.  Uncontrolled portions, nothing to say "Stop! You've had enough!"  I could not resist.  And I knew that I was overeating, so I started skipping meals to compensate. (Hmmm...didn't I learn not to skip meals last month? Okay, I learned it again.)

What this uncontrolled, unplanned eating did was to whet my appetite for more.  So anything around the house was fair game. Milk and cookies.  More chips. Mac and cheese.  Peanut butter sandwiches.  Toast and jelly.  All of which resulted in some major regaining of pounds lost.  

It isn't the end of the world, though it does set me back a bit.   But after getting back on my regular portion-controlled eating plan, I find that the cravings are gone.  By staying on an eating schedule I find that my appetite is satisfied and I need less to feel full.  

The main thing to remember is that weight control is a journey, a life-long process.  There will be setbacks, there will be highs and lows.  But the journey is never over.

EXERCISE:  

The elliptical popped a screw and it has taken a while to get it fixed right but it is finally working now.  So in the morning when I am waking up and listening to my Audible books on my iPod, I find that if I am already wearing my exercise clothes *as pjs!* it is very easy to wander into my office and hop on the elliptical, and it is amazing how fast that 20 minutes goes by listening to an audio book.  Then again at night after work I stream Netflix favorites;  I find that the time passes by quickest when I am watching something funny like a 20 minute sitcom.  I know that mindfulness dictates that I am supposed to "Be Here Now" and all that but when I am exercising I don't like to concentrate on the effort and discomfort and prefer to "Be Somewhere Else".   I would like to stay on this exercise plan at least 5 days a week for the next month and see what changes I can observe, then to increase the duration to 30 minutes.  Also I have an Outlook reminder to take 4 stretch breaks during my work day and I have now added weight lifting exercises for my arms during those breaks.  


TEN NEW FAVORITES:

1.  It is really indulgent for a morning or afternoon snack to have an ice cold Chai latte and a chocolate-dipped biscotti for about 115 calories.  Really helps to stretch out the time between meals without getting super hungry.  


2.  Another favorite is individual fruit cups: vanilla and spice flavored pears and caramel flavored apples & pears kept cold in fridge, a refreshing snack.  Although a piece of fruit is perfectly fine too, the Del Monte cups are really yummy and only 60 calories.   

3.  Adding sesame seeds to my frozen oriental meals is a nice touch.  


http://whitzmix.com/
http://whitzmix.com/
4.  I also like to amp up my egg and Morningstar farms sausage breakfast sandwich with fresh spinach, mushrooms and Ba~cos. And don't forget the WhitzMix and Pace Picante!





5.  I'm a big fan of a hearty breakfast.  When I want a major omelet in less than 5 minutes, I cook a Smart Ones Potato Broccoli Cheddar dinner for 3 minutes, open it, pour in one egg with an extra egg white beaten in, close the cellophane on top and cook for another 1/2 minutes.  Voila...a filling breakfast that sticks with me for hours  for 315 calories.

6.  And for any white-sauced pasta dish, I have found that lemon pepper cuts the creaminess and adds a nice zing.  I saw orange pepper seasoning  at H.E.B. today and can't wait to try that.


 

 7.  These are so much more flavorful than plain veggies and just 40 calories per single serving!





8.  So I don't feel deprived while Dale munches through Netflix movie nights:   (although the whole bag is about 300 calories so it has to take the place of a late supper AND didn't I just learn not to skip meals again?)


9.  And my three latest discoveries at the grocery store (yes, that says caramel marshmallow creamer):


10. C9 by Champion workout gear on my Target wishlist.  Most active wear tops are so clingy I have to wear a coverup over them, but these are so forgiving:

No comments: