Saturday, June 12, 2010

This One Time, At Schlitterbahn...
Baby Did a Bad Bad Thing

Since our reservations were canceled at Mountain Breeze Camp tomorrow and also since we will be dog-sitting for my daughter while she goes to Schlitterbahn next week, my thoughts have turned to a montage of water park moments of the past. We have had many adventures at Schlitterbahn in New Braunfels.  

The most charming:  Going about the motel room while my 2 year old granddaughter laid on the fold out bed with her doll, she silently watched me  going back and forth as I got ready for bed, about 20 minutes worth of all the stuff I have to do before bed, following me with her eyes the entire time, never saying a word.

The saddest:   Being paged by my daughter several times trying to let us know her husband was seriously ill.  We did finally hear the page.  It is pretty shocking to hear your name being called all over Schlitterbahn.  He recovered that time, but it was not too long later that he died from heart disease. 

The most painful:  Getting out of the car in the parking lot when a little dog ran up and bit my son on the leg.  First stop:  Tickets.  Second stop:  First Aid.

The most difficult:  Climbing to the top of the tallest ride with my adult children outpacing me, while I would stop and have to catch my breath. 

The nicest:  At the end of a long day, getting into the hot tub while a soft warm rain bathed us all into bliss.  

The most embarrassing:  In a small townhouse with all my kids, grand-kids and various spouses etc...me coming out of the bathroom and telling them (ala Dumb and Dumber) "Do NOT go IN there!"....the smell following me out into the living room and everyone gagging and ewing and "MOM!" ing and someone saying the smell was so bad they  could SEE it hovering up around the ceiling! 

The second most expensive:  An evening at the arcade after the rest of the park had closed down (we stayed at the resort, which is so worth it.)


The most expensive:  Deciding I could not sleep in the same resort town home as my rowdy up all night 'adult' children and getting another room at the last minute.


The creepiest:  Playing with grand-kids in the motel hot tub at night, noticed one strange guy staring at them...then realized he was staring at my LITTLE GRANDSON!

The scariest:  Watching from the balcony as three of the most precious people in the world to me bungee jumped and disappeared behind the trees.  

The most aggravating:  Walking the five stories to the top of the ride with young kids in tow, thinking they could ride in our laps.  NOT.  We had to wait for my son in law to go all the way back and rent them some baby tubes and bring them all the back up to the top again.  Really aggravating for him.  

The funniest:  I was walking to another ride with my teen kids, and this young drunk guy behind me stepped on my ankle.  I glared at him then kept on walking.  Then he did it again.  I took my huge tube and slammed him with it.  He fell into one of those ropes, into a line of people, taking down a couple of rope holders and landing on the ground.  We walked off as his peeps helped him up, my kids seeing me for the first time in a new light.

No matter what though, I love the place, there is nothing like it in the world.  I am very sorry to hear it flooded the other day but they should be back in business soon.   

(P.S.  It is so funny the spellchecker wants to change Schlitterbahn to "scatterbrain.")

Water Parks in Texas: Schlitterbahn, Hawaiian Falls Garland, Splashtown Waterpark Houston, Hawaiian Falls the Colony 

No comments: